The symbol of the city of Sopron is the Firewatch Tower.Its cylindrical lower part was built on the remains of the Roman town wall, and served as the north tower of the city from the 13th century onwards.
The City Hall was built in 1896, in the year of the Hungarian MillenniumOpposite it, the Stornó House is one of the most well-known buildings of the city, thanks to its highly interesting collection
The castle-like Baroque corner house is one of the most attractive sights of the Main SquareIn the 15th century it was the property of the Haberleiter family, and provided accommodation for King Matthias in 1482-83, when he assaulted the town of Vienna. The building became the property of the Festetics family in the 18th century, ..
One of the most beautiful statues of SopronThe Holy Trinity Statue is a masterpiece of the Hungarian baroque, while the neo-gothic Ursuline Church is one of the most impressive architectural monuments of the past century.
The Central Museum of Mining, the largest and most comprehensive mining collection of Hungary, is a real curiosity among the dozens of exhibitions in SopronThe Baroque Esterházy Palace is a worthy venue to house this valuable collection. After the visit in the museum, the bulwark garden behind the Museum and its small Baroque music pavilion make an ideal resting place for the weary visitor.
It is the Maria Statue that stands where the Annunciation Church from the Middle-Ages once stood.The church was destroyed in 1632, so as to impede the Turkish troops who were using the tower for shooting the castle from there. The monument has eight stairs leading to the octagonal pulpit. A walk around the base found many lovely ..